Sunday, September 25, 2011

Eastern North Carolina BBQ (Crock Pot Version)


I'm from Kinston, NC.  That means I like my barbeque one way.  With vinegar.  I don't want mustard sauce.  I don't want tomato sauce.  I just want vinegar.  Roger does the barbeque on the grill for the family, but he was slow to warm up to the vinegar idea, being from South Carolina mustard sauce country himself.  So, when I wanted my kind of barbeque, I had to make it myself.  So, this is what I did.  It's not as good as on the grill, but it's still worth the effort on rainy, cold days.  Roger now makes both versions on the grill, but I like to keep this recipe in reserve.  Just in case.  


Ingredients

Sauce
  • 2 cups cider vinegar
  • 1 tbs. salt
  • 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
Boston Butt

    Directions

    1. Mix ingredients
    2. Cover, and let stand at least 3 hrs. before using as a basting sauce
    3. Sear outside of Boston Butt in frying pan.
    4. Place in crock pot.
    5. Pour sauce on meat.
    6. Cook 8-10 hrs. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment