Debbie's 14 Carat Cake

This is my stepmother Debbie's family favorite recipe for carrot cake.  In fact, this carrot cake sparked a family battle. My Dad, famous for not wanting to share, hid the cake from my Uncle Vince. Vince retaliated by asking Debbie to bake him one of his own. Debbie did, and a tradition was born. Every year at beach week, when all the family gathered together at Emerald Isle, Debbie would make two carrot cakes - one for my Dad, and one for my Uncle Vince. I've modified it here for vegans.

I posted the scanned version of the recipe because I love how it shows heavy use.  This is what favorite recipes look like.  I'll translate.

Cake:

1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2/3 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp soda
1 cup oil
Just Egg to replace 3 eggs
1/3 cup grated carrots (4-6 carrots)
6 oz. crushed pinapple
2/3 cup chop walnuts

Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and soda.  Add sugar, oil, and eggs.  Mix well.  Add carrots, drained pineapple, and nuts.  Turn into two greased and floured 9" cake pans.  Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.  Cool in pan, then turn out to cool on racks.  Fill layers and frost with cream cheese frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting:

1/2 cup vegan butter
8 ox vegan cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
1 box sifted confectionary sugar

Cream 1/2 cup butter, 8 oz cream cheese, and 1 tsp vanilla.  Beat  in one box confectionary  sugar.  If too thick, add a little water.  


Comments

Popular Posts